Now, I really don't mean to come out as judgmental or critical, but some people have that face that makes you think, "why do they look so angry all the time?" Has it ever happened to you? And then you see them with people and they are smiling and laughing and being pleasant...Maybe that is just their default face, but when I see people like that near me, I just avoid them. I don't trust a face that doesn't smile (maybe that has to do with the fact that I smile a lot, I love smiling).
And you know what's concerning to me? When I look that kind of gesture in Christians. I figured, since we have the Holy Spirit within us, we would be able to at least be passed our hard and maybe traumatizing past, and be joyful about the fact that God is with us, He came to rescue us, and He is for us. I've seen that when people become followers of God, there is a light in their eyes (in their whole face, really) that just says peace, calm, serenity... just by looking at them, you feel better!
And is the same people who you see on Facebook (or somewhere else), and you see them posting about how their life is going great, hardships and everything, posting smiling and goofy selfies... and you see them in person and it seems like they just had a bad day. Granted, this might happen every now and then...but when is every single time you see them walking by? You can't help but wonder, right? And regularly they are very sweet and caring people once you get to know them, but how would you want to get to know someone who on the outside they seem to not like their life, at all? For me that just says, "stay away, I don't like meeting people".
It might be just me, but I am the kind of people who will not approach you if I don't see you smiling, especially if you are not smiling at me. I could see you hanging out with someone (in the same room, I may add) and be laughing and stuff... and then you turn around to see me for whatever reason, and whoosh! smile gone...(?) I mean, am I that unpleasant to be with, or even to look at? In that situation I'd just walk away! Your smile-to-serious face makes me feel unwelcomed and unliked. Why would I want to get to know someone like that, even if you are a seemingly pleasant to be around, according to those who are not me?
There is enough distrust in the world and ugliness in people as it is, why not smile at one another and be a bit pleasant with each other, even if we are strangers?
It only takes a smile to take you far with people: it can get you hired, it can get you an unbreakable friendship, it can get you trust, it can even get you a life-changing relationship that later turns into, I don't know, maybe a date? Marriage? You name it!
A smile is the most inexpensive form of affection, warmth, and welcoming one could ever show to anyone. Maybe someone you are sharing sidewalk with has had a bad day... a simple smile would let them know that everything will be ok. Maybe a smile is all an elderly lady at the supermarket needs for her to feel loved.
A smile can be given at any time, anywhere. If you don't get one in return, oh well! At least you have yours :)
Smile, it's contagious!
Love,
Natalie <3
No comments:
Post a Comment