Ah, pregnancy... where you feel little flutters, little kicks, your significant other rubs your belly, brings you food...have cravings, feel like the lady on that scene in the movie Alien where the thing comes out of her through her belly, you feel like a whale, and then cry because you just ate half a three-pint bucket of ice cream all by yourself...but you know what? That is all ok! You are growing a little human! So what if you put extra pounds on? Your body will not be ruined, it never was. Your body was home and food for your little one, love it!
Being pregnant has been one of my biggest adventures, ever. I am loving every single happy and crappy moment about it! Especially the food and the belly rubs from friends... I know, it's kinda weird. Some pregnant women don't like being touched at all, or even asked if they are pregnant!
See, that's one of my things: why do pregnant women (or women in general) get mad when people ask them if they are pregnant? Maybe is just a cultural thing, but even before being pregnant when I was asked that question I always took it humorously and said, "Ha! No, not yet" or something... ok, maybe I don't get offended because I am as skinny as a twig, always been, and have no body image issues like other women, who unfortunately didn't receive the blessing of a skinny body and/or fast metabolism... which is perfectly ok! Whether 'perfect' body or not, everyone of us have the capability of being confident and feeling pretty.
I know that the question of "are you pregnant?" sometimes gets you by surprise and makes you feel bad or uncomfortable, but it's just a question! Not a mock, not a statement, not a body-shaming insult...is just a question!
I love being pregnant, I would love it if more people asked me if I was pregnant! One day at work I got a family with two children in my section, and the dad boldly told me "turn sideways for me?" I did, and then he nodded... his wife looked embarrassed, but nonchalantly I said, "yes, I am pregnant. It's ok to ask!" and then we had a few laughs about that. He felt confident in 'asking' because he saw my cross necklace (which I always wear).
If someone asks you if you are pregnant and you are not, don't take it personally! Laugh about it, and move on. Women sometimes need to get over themselves. When it's about image, you should always have the confidence to say yes or no at that question, and move on. That person most likely will take the answer and forget about it, while, as you get offended, you keep thinking, "how dare he/she asked me such a question? I know I'm fat, but damn! How rude"...see? Right there! You just body-shamed yourself. You turned that person's question into an insult for yourself and you let it affect you. That is not ok. We need to always take things as it is, and respond like adults about it.
The same thing goes for women who are actually pregnant! I saw a meme a long time ago where there was a row of pregnant women figures at different stages of pregnancy and the headline said, "when to ask if a woman is pregnant", and the bottom line had the stages of the pregnancy with the word Never underneath it...I mean, come on! If someone asks you if you are pregnant, and you are pregnant, why not just say yes?!
Maybe I'm just weird like that and I never take things personally (especially if they are true and I have no reason to be offended). I think you shouldn't, either. Makes life easier ;)
Blessings,
Natalie <3
No comments:
Post a Comment