Ok, I'm sorry for not writing in a long time, baby has kept me busy!
I had my beautiful baby girl in May 21st, at 10:44 in the morning, via c-section. She weighted 8 lbs 8 oz, and measured 21 inches :) and a head full of hair! She has been my joy and pride since then, and now that I've been taking her to places, I've encountered people that, really, do not know about personal space.
I'm writing this blog because there are several people who have done this, and I want my friends to not be silently slapped if any of you encounter me and Opal. Not to mention, it will serve as future reference on how to interact with babies on the street or a public place.
1) ALWAYS ask if you can touch the baby.
You have no idea how many people touch Opal without asking. One thing: Do not ever, ever, touch her face. You never touch a baby's face. Like, ever. In the history of Forever. If you touch a baby's face, you deserve to have your hand cut off... just kidding. But seriously, don 't do it.
You might've forgotten where your hands had been the last few hours before you touched her. Babies have low immune system. To avoid germs or potential illness, just don't touch a baby's face UNLESS given permission to do so, and only if you've washed your hands recently.
2) Do not comment on how big/tiny he or she is.
Many people mean well when they comment on a baby's size. But, as you'll comment on anyone's size, it's kind of hurtful and rude, especially if the baby is exclusively breastfed. If you say her baby is small, she will feel like she is not giving her enough, or that she is not producing enough, etc.
Many horrible things pass through a mom's mind when people comment on their baby's size. If you say the baby is big, she'll think she is overfeeding him/her. If you say the baby is small, she'll think she is not giving him/her enough to eat. Just do all us mamas a favor, and don't comment on baby size, like ever.
3) Avoid pointing out mom's post-pregnancy figure.
This is kind of a big one. Although, I've been told I look good and that it seemed like I was never pregnant (which it's ok, I appreciate it ^-^), in one occasion I was told (by an overweight, 50-something year old lady), that "it should be illegal to look that good after having a child"... envy much?
Listen, it's not in my hands to control my weight... well, yes, it is. But it's really not my fault that I'm shaped small. I've always have a great metabolism and always been thin. Having a baby didn't change that, and I breastfeed so all the baby weight went off the window in a couple of weeks. So please, if you are going to say things like that out of envy, just keep your mouth shut or walk away.
4) Babies are not as easy to figure out.
"Baby is smiling? Oh! She must like me! Baby is crying? Aw, she doesn't like me." Babies don't always smile out of happiness, or they don't always cry when they see a stranger. Babies smile also when they are passing gas or they are trying to have a bowel movement. And babies don't always cry because they don't like strangers. If they cry when a stranger approaches, maybe she's had enough with the day and they are ready to call it a night.
I know this is kind of mom's job to figure out, but if/when you are babysitting babies it will be your job. If baby is smiling, don't immediately assume they are happy. They might be, but there are a lot of reasons why they smile: they are trying to pass gas, or they are struggling with passing a stool. So if they do this, don't just hold them and talk to them and smile back, especially when they are struggling or squirming. Same thing happens if they are crying. It doesn't mean they don't like you, maybe they are just hungry or need to be changed! Put yourself in their shoes! It's so much easier to figure out a baby's needs when you think to yourself, "if I was a baby, why would I be crying? Am I wet? Am I hungry? Is my onesie sticky/hot?" etc. As a mommy, this helped me figure Opal out faster than if I just try about everything and hope it calms her down.
****
I hope this helps a lot of you when interacting with babies, whether it be from strangers in public places, or a new member of your family. Be always mindful of momma's feelings and needs, and respond promptly.
It's really hard for us new mothers to get the grip on this thing called motherhood. We need help and support. And with the tips above, you will be helping immensely!
Blessings,
Nataly <3
No comments:
Post a Comment